It is finally Friday, which means it’s finally alliteration time! Woot! You can’t imagine how happy that makes me, both the alliterations and that it’s Friday. LONG week going on over here. The Friday list also means I can put a whole bunch of random thoughts together, without having to write a well thought out post. So let’s get to it!
- I’m making a new habit! I realize it’s still early days yet, but for the last two weeks (plus one extra day) I’ve gotten up at 4:45 and gone to the gym for some treadmill speed work and cross training. This is pretty big news, because I am so not a morning person, the snooze button and I are very well acquainted. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are now early morning days due to the crazy family schedule we’ve got going on. I’m not going to say I like getting up early, but I really like having that extra time in the evening with the kids and not being super rushed from the time I leave work until I hit the pillow. And I’ve got one more reason to justify my 8:00 bedtime.
- I’ve been doing “speed” work! I’m not sure if it’s really speed work if it’s on the treadmill, like maybe it’s not super hard core unless I’m sweating it out on the track. But who cares? I’m bumping up the little button on the treadmill and following a prescribed workout plan, and sort of going faster. So, hopefully I will indeed be speedier some day…Though honestly I’m not sure if it’s helping. I don’t feel any faster, and the paces are based on a race time from the summer, which is a slower than what I might actually be able to do on a day that isn’t 100 degrees.
- I might be running a half this weekend. I haven’t yet decided. I think I probably am, but I haven’t registered yet (I have until Saturday at 4) so I could still change my mind. My amazing long run buddy is selfishly on vacation so I’d be responsible for doing my 12 mile long run solo on Saturday…Or I could pay $50 and run a half on Sunday with a couple hundred other people and have water stops and snacks at the finish line. The race doesn’t start until 8:00, and for some people maybe that’s an advantage, but in Texas, where the temps are still in the 90s and the humidity is like one zillion percent, it’s a big drawback. So…we’ll see.
- I’ve been feeling super sappy this last week, realizing that I have THE most amazing frunners ever. Many moons ago, I was very anti running partner, I just didn’t want to worry about having to match paces with another person, or actually trying to talk during a run. But now, look at me, I’m afraid to do my long run solo. I have two amazing friends I run with, Julie on Thursdays and A. on Saturdays. Julie is amazing, she runs crazy, scary trails for fun, in the dark. Why? And A. isn’t currently training for anything, and yet she has dedicated her Saturday mornings to helping me train for the Houston Marathon. She meets me at o’dark thirty and suffers through the hot and humidity just to run a whole bunch of miles for fun. You know, just your typical crazy runner. I am so grateful for these two amazing women, who have helped me become a stronger and happier runner.
- I’m still getting the running hangover. I mentioned a few weeks back (probably my last post, HA!) that I thought I’d found the solution to my after run headaches. Yeah, not so much. After my run last Thursday, I thought I felt fine. But I woke up Friday with the worst migraine I have ever had. I couldn’t move without pain and it was impossible to keep anything down for hours, I was dizzy and nauseous all day long. So, I need to fix that. I just don’t know where to start. I’ve gotten some electrolyte supplements, and I’m going to start incorporate them into my refueling. I’ve spent hours researching electrolyte imbalances, and while there are some who argue the capsules don’t help and it’s not a “real” problem, I’m pretty sure that is the cause of my problems. All my symptoms line up, so now I just need to find a way to restore the right balance.
As is the proper blogger thing to do, I’m asking the interenet what I should do! Should I run the half on Sunday or just suck it up buttercup and do my long run solo? What would YOU do?