Hooray for alliterations, you know how much I love them! So I was reading Hollie’s post yesterday about her plans for August and that girl has got her shiz together! Her post made me realize that August is sort of my last month of not really training with a plan, and I need it to be worthwhile. So I thought and I thought until my brain started hurting about what I hope to accomplish over the next 31 days in regards to my running. These aren’t exactly goals, just some things I think would be good to focus on.
- I want to clean up some bad eating habits. That’s not to say I’m a horrible eater, I think I do a pretty good job eating healthy foods most of the time. But I have a big weakness for sweets, mostly cookies and ice cream. So, I’m going to proclaim August a no ice cream month. Let’s be real, there’s just no way I could give up cookies, but ice cream I think I can do. I mostly want to retake accountability for what I’m eating and stop with justifying cookies because I ran extra one day. I feel like I can say no to ice cream, and I won’t replace it with something else that isn’t good for me.
- Strength training! Time to get strong. And by that I mean 10-30 minute YouTube videos or Jillian Michael’s DVDs. I have definitely been slacking off in regards to any sort of weight work for the last two months and I can feel my arms getting more tired during my longer runs. I know I will want to continue strength training once marathon training hits the big time, so now is probably a good time to get into the habit of fitting it in.
- Build some long run confidence. Lately during my attempt at long runs I start to have a mental breakdown after about an hour of running. It doesn’t seem to matter what my mileage goal is for the run, it usually happens every time. I’m hoping this is related to the weather (can I just keep blaming everything on the weather?), because the heat and humidity seem to take a lot out of me. I need to regain the confidence that a 90 minute run will not kill me, since that’s where my body seems to just stop working.
- I need to find some new freaking shorts! I’ve been doing the majority of my weekday runs in my Brooks Glycerin 2-in-1 shorts and my long runs in my Brooks Infinity short tights. And I’m no long thrilled with either one of them. Maybe they are worn out? I’m not sure why it’s happening now, but the Glycerin’s inner shorts ride up like crazy and I can’t be adjusting them alllll the time. I’ve had my eye on the Oiselle Stride Shorts but I want to try them on first and I can’t find them locally. I like a more compressiony/tight fit because I don’t want to deal with chaffing and ride up of something less fitted. I feel like no one else is built like me and the shorts that everyone else loves don’t work for my body. I thought I was going to love the Rogas, but they hated me too. I need to just gather a big group of women and find the one who has the same short, chunky legs I do and find out what shorts she loves. Is that too much?
- I still need to put together an official type training plan. This is kind of a big deal, no? I have about 15 different training plans and methods and I need to mesh them all into one. I have successfully created plans for the three different half marathons I ran last year so I know I’m capable of putting together something that will work. I guess my biggest fear right now is getting it wrong and having poor training lead to a bad marathon experience. I just don’t want it to suck, and I need to figure out the best way to get there.
I don’t usually make monthly goals in my running or for life in general, but I feel like this is sort of my last month to get some things figured out before training gets serious.
So lets get started on one of those things, you can help by telling me two of your favorite running shorts. I need at least that many to choose from, because I feel like there is nothing out there made for my legs.